Experiment 2: The Closet Countdown

“All of life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.”ย  Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’m feeling that nudge again. That need to try another experiment and see how I feel about increasing the minimalism in my life. I call it The Closet Countdown (ta da!). Here are the basics (with personal commentary to follow of course!):

Who: Me (Ginny Love Moore), and you if you want to try it.

What: The Closet Countdown.

When: Starting July 1, 2013. Ending October 8, 2013. 100 days total.

This project is great because it can begin at any time, really. Just pick a start date, add 100 days and there you go. Jump in any time!

Where: My Closet, My Life!

Why:

  • To see if having fewer clothes helps clear some brain space to get more done on my “Big Goals”. Less time taking care of/thinking about things = More time for people
  • To get a different taste of minimalism without actually getting rid of things.
  • When I see that I made it one hundred days without a certain piece of clothing or pair of shoes, perhaps it will be easier to get rid of it.

How: Begin with the number ten and choose a category of clothing (shirts, tops, dresses, underwear, etc.). Gather ten of those (favorite pieces are recommended). Then continue with the process with different item categories until the number one. Hide away the “unchosen” articles. Use only the chosen 49 items (another chance to bypass my perfectionism because I really want to bump it up to 50) as the working wardrobe for 100 days. New shirt? Then tuck away (or get rid of) one of the current shirts. Do this for all chosen items.

My Hypothesis: I’ll be just fine. I might miss a top or pair of shoes but I’ll manage. I’ve been culling and reducing and experimenting for years now. The Closet Countdown is certainly more constricting but I like challenges. They keep me sane.

Some background information on the idea behind The Closet Countdown

Many years ago I heard about a woman who went to Sears and bought seven of the same dress and it struck a chord in my pre-minimalist soul. I honestly don’t remember why she did it. I’m pretty sure it was for some higher cause. But what higher cause do we have but to shake off society’s fashion shackles and live in freedom? Whether we choose the craziest wardrobe or the same dress seven days a week, we should do it, do it boldly, and feel good about doing it.

My inspirations include Project 333, The One Dress Protest, and 100 Thing Challenge. I think quantifying our things helps us realize how much we have. It helps our brains understand in a concrete way just what we are responsible for. So I decided to try The Closet Countdown as my own little minimalism project. The idea seems fairly simple and doable. I’m excited about what I will learn on this part of my quest for simplicity.

More soon with updates. ๐Ÿ™‚

Advertisements

5 comments

  1. That’s a cool idea, the 49 items. I’m doing project 333 at the moment and one week in, so far so good. Good luck with your challenge.

  2. I’m in! I always feel like my life would be much easier if I could basically wear the same 3-5 outfits every day (with some variation for the weather, of course – I do live in New England) and not have to figure out what’s clean, what matches, what’s at the dry cleaner, etc. I think I wear about 20% of my wardrobe most of the time, so what if the other 80% just wasn’t there to clutter up the closet? I’ll give it a try and I’m looking forward to hearing how you do!

    1. That’s awesome, Katy! I’m so excited. I promise to post a pre-closet countdown post soon to report on some of my decision making. I look forward to doing this with you. ๐Ÿ™‚

Comments are closed.